Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Year IX, Episode MMMMCCXXXI (4,231)

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., #6, 14504-108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5N 1G8

January IInd, MMXVIII

Hon. Dave Eggen, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, New Democratic, Edmonton-Calder

Dear Dave:

Former Mayor & Alderman/Councillor Terry Cavanaugh was a stand-up guy. XCI (91) is a glorious run. When I was in Elementary & Junior High School, Terry stopped various attempts by previous City Councils to expand the Jasper Place Bus Terminal over the east end of 100A Avenue, which would have killed off my parents furniture store, Koopmans' Furniture as we were on 100A Avenue, 1 block south of Stony Plain Road. Even then, Edmonton City Council was very anti-business.

I liked Terry because he would break into song "June is bustin' out all over" (from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical "Carousel") whenever he saw my mom & his wife together as they were both named June. That was quite special. I also liked him because he was the Council Member who spoke up in helping my dad with dealing with red tape at City Hall & how to break through it & yet he never represented us as a Ward Councillor but did more for us than many of our reps, (I remember the absolutely useless Lyall Roper.) Terry was also one of two Council members who told me & my dad that Karen Leibovici had voted against him twice for a slot on the Edmonton Police Commission, the other being ex-police chief LeRoy Chahley.

https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-790dGx-0

Truly A Nice Person,

Rory

Source: Myself.

No comments: