Thursday, February 11, 2016

Intimidate This!

R. Joey Koopmans, B. Admin., Ward XII YEG City Councilor Byelection Candidate, Edmonton, Alberta

February XIth, MMXVI

Hon. Dave Eggen, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, New Democratic, Edmonton-Calder

Dear Dave:

I am frustrated when I hear that some of my opponents have criminal pasts & are running despite having Peace Bonds issued against them. Then further using tactics of voter intimidation & forced voting at the Advance Polling Station. Having never had a Peace Bond or Restraining Order ever issued against me since I do security & guarding work for a living as provincially licensed security officer at warehouses, bars, & other sites, I find this lack of security decorum disgusting & extremely disturbing! You don't hear any complaints about me or my student volunteer scrutineers in the media do you? Answer: NO YOU DON'T!

This is because I have them sitting in the room as scrutineers where the voting is taking place or in the hall outside the room. I don't even permit them to wear any form of campaign insignia, even outside on the sidewalk. I also tell them not to even say "hello" to voters but just observe! That is all: OBSERVE!

People can call me directly at 780-604-6732 for the rest of the election if you have any questions. This is my third election campaign in what nine months & after all of the thousands of doors I have knocked on & with all the people I've met, I find as a Candidate for the said office above of Ward XII YEG City Councilor it incredibly frustrating to stop doorknocking &/or flyer deliveries at homes. Then I have to go walk all the way back to my vehicle & come to the Advance Polling site to deal with problems that my volunteer scrutineers cannot handle. Its beyond frustrating as I am losing an already narrow & limited window of time in which to meet Ward XII residents & listen to their concerns.

Tag in the new snowfall & I have to make sure that I'm dressed warmly & carry a bunch of flyers without falling on the poorly cleaned (if cleaned at all sidewalks) with ice & snow on them & full of cracks & unrepaired holes. Frankly, I'm about all campaigned out & am sickened at the way some candidates are harassing voters, its upsetting to see the great people such as Laura Kennedy & Iain MacLean of Elections Edmonton having to deal with this crap when they are already having enough stress just trying to keep the voting room itself safe & secure for voters! Having observed as a paid neutral Canadian IIIrd party some of the shenanigans in the MM Floridian recount vote for the Presidency Of The United States, I find it sad that XVI years later in another Presidential Election Cycle we in a municipal byelection are having this same garbage being pulled!

It's Just Not Right,

R. Joey

Source: Gordon Kent, The Edmonton Journal & "The Campaign II Elect R. Joey Koopmans Ward XII YEG City Councilor."

P.S.: David Staples, also of The Edmonton Journal did a remarkable job in interviewing me. As I am quite nervous & don't have much confidence when I discuss matters, he was very reassuring & allayed my fears very nicely. I for one thank him & The Edmonton Journal team ever so much!

2 comments:

Colin F. Smith said...

Campaigned out but not out-campaigned?

rory said...

I will campaign until I die, or at least until Feb. 23rd!