Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Brochure Assure

R. Joey Koopmans, B. Admin., Ward XII YEG City Councilor Byelection Candidate, Edmonton, Alberta

February IIIrd, MMXVI

Hon. Dave Eggen, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, New Democratic, Edmonton-Calder

Dear Dave:

From a security perspective, there are many reasons & ways or proper mannerisms to follow when placing political brochures on vehicle windshields when running for office. I do this in order to save a lot of doorknocking because its very hard to garner volunteers, especially in my last byelection scenario since a federal election was on at the same time. This time out, the problem with the huge amount of candidates is not that it isn't great for democracy, its that it spreads the volunteer base out so thin. I myself have only two part time student volunteers that I will provide with hot meals as a thank you for their time.

I. When delivering flyers on say a shopping mall parking lot, always obtain oral permission from that said facility from staff or management on shift, which is what I did last night when dropping flyers outside the Millwoods Public Library which houses a seniors centre upstairs, as well as from managers at Millwoods Towne Centre Shopping Mall. I do this before dropping a single brochure. Whenever possible, I also will call businesses & groups & obtain written permission from the owner(s) or a manager acting on their behalf. Its just better that way.

II. When dropping off flyers, NEVER, EVER SPEAK to anyone you may encounter in the said lots. Especially not women alone, or women with children, nor anyone. You only speak to them & offer them a flyer if they ask what you are doing. In this way, they know they are safe & can trust you in conversation. You want to make the other person comfortable. Now I am being totally honest when I admit to being extremely annoying having a disease where I talk too much as I do with my Aspergers Syndrome or "high-functioning autism", but even I know there is a time & a place where you absolutely must shut the hell up & let personages you encounter initiate contact. In this way, they don't feel stressed or weirded out or uncomfortable with you. This is the way I've always done things & thus I've never, ever had a complaint in my life about my flyer deliveries for myself or on behalf of another candidate running for office.

     - I also apologize formally to any person in my life whom I have ever made perfect. As I am human like anyone else, I am not perfect, but I just want to serve & just because I am disabled doesn't mean that I cannot do the job of city councilor capably!

III. When I handed out flyers on the parking lot at Government House by the now closed Royal Alberta Museum to take tactical advantage of the cabinet expansion yesterday, I was on solid ground because I have asked Alberta Sheriffs & Edmonton Police for clearance to do so in the past. They have always granted it because the parking lot is public, as is the ring road around Government House where the members of the cabinet & the media park their vehicles. For candidates wanting to garner similar attention from the media & provincial contacts if  they get elected, the key to remember is this:

     - Don't try & enter Government House or block the path of said people inside.

     - Stay on the public sidewalk around the Government House facility when placing the brochures on the windshields.

     - Make sure to never engage in any form of conversation with media, security, public officials or guests unless they engage you first. Especially with female media as they have deadlines & may be alone.& want to get to & from their vehicles unobstructed.

IV. These rules or guidelines are very difficult for a person with my disorder who loves to talk to follow, but I always do & then I never seem to run into trouble. Hold yourself back a bit if you are a candidate for any office. Be polite, but be respectful, it is all in politics about decorum!

The Philadelphia "Flyer"s,

R. Joey

Source: "The Campaign To Elect R. Joey Koopmans Ward XII YEG City Councilor."

No comments: