Sprucewood Public Library Terminal #XI, Edmonton, Alberta
May XXIst, MMXIV
Hon. Jeff Johnson, B. Ed., MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Athabasca-Sturgeon-RedH2O
Having just left the PC Candidate IV Leader & Premier Jim Prentice Edmonton Campaign Kickoff, its very appropriate that Executive Dissertations talks about another Premier of Alberta today, the last Social Credit & IXth (9th) Premier Harry Strom, who took over for the VII (7) term & XXV (25) years in office legend Ernest C. Manning. Harry ruled from MCMLXVIII-MCMLXXI (1968-71) & had the unenviable task that Candidate Prentice might be facing, being the last Premier of a party dynasty. He was defeated by Premier E. Peter Lougheed in the August MCMLXXI election.
- Harry was the first native or Alberta born Premier this province had & like XIIIth (13th) Premier Ed Stelmach, Harry was a farmer by trade & loved his wife Ruth immensely.
- Harry won all V(5) of his terms of office as the MLA IV Cypress in V(5) election writs with more than 60% of the vote. An amazing accomplishment when you consider how votes can go up & down for a candidate in any election.
- Harry served as Minister of Municipal Affairs, & Minister of Agriculture before becoming Premier. Then after his defeat, he did the reverse of Premier Lougheed & served as Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Official Opposition after losing the Premiership.
- Harry created the Alberta Service Corps which created paid summer jobs for youth to work in the public & environmental sectors. A great student initiative by Harry.
- Harry Strom created Athabasca University, a post-secondary & correspondence wonder of a school.
"Give 'Em Hell Harry!",
Source: The Bow Island Commentator.