Wednesday, May 7, 2014
A Premier On The Far Right Hash Marks
#23, 9731-174 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5T 6G4
May VIIth, MMXIV
Hon. Jeff Johnson, B. Ed., MLA
Minister of Education,
Progressive Conservative, Athabasca-Sturgeon-RedH2O
Today Executive Dissertations continues it tributes to Alberta Premiers with a look at our XIth (11th) Premier Donald (Don) R. Getty who was Premier from MCMLXXXV-MCMXCII (1985-1992.)
- Don graduated from the University Of Western Ontario with a degree in business. So he was very interested in being a businessman & athlete simultaneously.
- Don was the Edmonton Eskimos winning Quarterback IV both the MCMLV & MCMLVI (1955 & 1956) Grey Cup matches, giving us two Grey Cups here in Edmonton. Don is married to his high school & may I say very beautiful sweetheart Margaret.& has four sons & many grandchildren.
- Don served as Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs & as Minister of Energy in cabinets of then Premier E. Peter Lougheed before leaving politics in MCMLXXIX (1979) to go into business for a few years until Premier Lougheed decided to retire VI (6) years later & therefore open up the Premier's & PC Association Of Alberta leader's chairs.
- Don was the Member Of The Legislature Assembly (MLA) for Edmonton-Whitemud just like current Premier Dave Hancock is. However, just like Dave who was born in Fort Resolution, The North West Territories, Don was born in city of Westmount, Quebec & not in Alberta's borders. So two Edmonton-Whitemud Premiers in a row born outside Alberta.
- Don was the first Premier in Canadian history to sign Provincial Land Treatises with First Nations & Metis groups. A truly noble idea!