Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Well I Won't Back Down, No I Won't Back Down, You Can Stand Me Up At The Gates Of Hell, But I Won't Back Down. Gonna Stand My Ground, Won't Be Turned Around, & I'll Keep This World From Draggin' Me Down, Gonna Stand My Ground & I Won't Back Down. Hey Baby Their Ain't No Easy Way Out, Hey I Will Stand My Ground, And I Won't Back Down!

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin.
#203, 8912-156 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5R 5Z2

October IInd, MMXII

Hon. Jeff Johnson, MLA
Minister of Education,
Progressive Conservative, Athabasca-Sturgeon-RedH2O

Dear Jeff:

I just saw a rather stirring movie last night called "Won't Back Down." It stars Maggie Gylenhaal & Viola Davis as II working mom's who want to seize (John) Adams Public School & turn it inII a private charter school. They will stop at nothing b/c they realize that with both of their children barely able II read, the Pennsylvania Public School system is badly failing their kids. Shot on location in Pittsburgh, the film had a strong sense of grittiness & realism in it. Sure there are many great teachers, but there are many teachers who are in the school just marking time & "babysitting the kids" as they put it b/c they have a guaranteed job with tenure IV life. So all they are in it IV is II collect a paycheque.

Gylenhaal & Davis get parents organized, get teachers II back them who risk losing their tenured jobs if the proposal fails. They also get the media involved & fight the school board administration red tape, as well as having II deal with the tough minded & mean Pennsylvania Teachers Union, which is headed by Academy Award (TM) Winner Holly Hunter in an amazing job in a supporting role. I would highly recommend anyone interested in education & II see how far America has fallen in failing its students get the best one possible to watch this film.

II Thumbs Up,

Rory

Source: The Toledo Free Press, James A. Molnar Aka: "The Gold Knight."  

No comments: