Friday, September 2, 2011

Because If Its Sunday: Its "Meet The Press."


Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin.
#203, 8912-156 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5R 5Z2

September IInd, MMXI

Hon. David G. Hancock, QC, MLA
Minister of Education,
Progressive Conservative, Edmonton-Whitemud

Dear David:

Worked a night shift at The Edmonton Journal Eastgate Production Facility last night. It was great to see the presses run. Stuffing flyers into the paper was super. I met some great employees, many of them immigrants who work really fast & hard, I admire that ethic. I must say that there is nothing like the site of hot & "unthumbed" newspapers rolling off the press.

Journalism students need to be aware that no matter how great the internet age is & even with declining circulation, you just cannot replace a "paper" paper. That is a statement I am sure Colin F. Smith, the Editor of The Edmonton Senior agrees with. I am also sure that other folks agree with me & Editor Smith that the feel of a fresh & hot newspaper in my hands felt really good, knowing that I had contributed to its completion.

Let us never forget the "presses" & just how "pressing" an engagement it is to get the paper out CCCLXIV (364) days a year, every year (CCCLXV (365) days each leap year). These are remarkable employees who give up their good night's sleep just so students & their family's have the latest news updates at their very fingertips.

"Pressed" IV Time,

Rory

Source: The Edmonton Journal.

P.S.: Great final broadcast Mr. Lloyd Robertson, class all the way!

No comments: