Thursday, June 16, 2011

Students Can Learn A Lot From Charles Adler




Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin.
#203, 8912-156 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5R 5Z2

June XVIth, MMXI

Hon. David G. Hancock, QC, MLA
Minister of Education,
Progressive Conservative, Edmonton-Whitemud

Dear David:

Chuck Adler is right on education. He shows just how great folks from Winnipeg are. He's right in expressing concern about students & other rioters causing horrible damage & bodily injuries last night in the great city of Vancouver, British Columbia. Students & others who did not participate may now get the idea that its okay to destroy & maim others & their property's because they see it live, on television, & all over the internet. Well its not, what if folks (say even a student) had been killed. Think of how badly those rioters would have felt. As for Police Chief Jim Chu & Mayor Gregor Robertson, those II ought to be forced out of office immediately. Showing students that when elected II & appointed to public offices you do nothing, then why are Vancouver taxpayers paying you? As IV the Boston Bruins & their fans, they outplayed, outgunned, outmatched, & outmanouvered the Vancouver Canucks at every turn. They (including their student fans) showed that they knew the values of sportsmanship & deserved the Stanley Cup more. Note: NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman didn't deserve the horrible treatment he received from fans in the arena. It lacked dignity & respect, Gary was just doing his legally required job in congratulating the winning team.

Chuck is right again in assessing the Globe & Mail's Margaret Wente column on the lack of academia time in American post-secondary institutions. The tacit agreements wherein Professors give the students very little to do. Chuck says that students only study about XII (12) hours a week (or less) with some only hitting the books for V hours a week or less & only XXX (30) hours a week of classroom time. That is quite horrid.

When I went to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) for my Marketing Certificate in MCMXIV-MCMXV (1994-95), then transferred II Grant MacEwan College (now University) towards getting a full Business Diploma from MCMXV-MCMXVII (1995-97), I had to study a lot more hours per week. Plus when I completed the trifecta of studying & got a Bachelor of Administration Degree (Honours) from Athabasca University in December MCMXCIX (1999), I still had to study & put in many hours. This despite the fact that it was a correspondence University & was self-paced. I still had to talk by email & phone with my Professors twice a week, I was also required II attend the Edmonton Campus of the school twice a month to see advisors that kept me on the right track. I also took all of my exams there in person, & had to attend my in class courses there. In person, not by remote control where I could just "phone in" my academic performance. I had II work to earn every credit, I had to study & be in class well over XL (40) hours a week combined. Plus I held down a part time job.

When I decided II go & become the first person in Alberta history II get a second C (100) High School Credits & therefore also the first to be granted a second Regular High School Diploma, I had II earn every credit honestly. Studying, without cheating, & with a full on effort. Hence my Public School Board run slogan: "CC Credits, II Diplomas, I'll Work Twice As Hard IV You." Having my learning disability of Aspberger's Syndrome or high functioning autism makes the challenges I faced in learning even harder. But I will not cheat, I will not give Convocation Lectures like certain University of Alberta Professor's & not give proper source accreditation. Chuck Adler got II be the broadcaster he is with hard work, honesty, & integrity. I can truly say I got my academic credentials the exact same way!

I'd Like II Give A Shout Out II
Bill Good & CKNW Radio Vancouver For Their Excellent Riot Coverage & Its Horrid Aftermath,

Rory

Source: Corus Entertainment's CJOB Winnipeg: "Adler Online", Charles Adler, Winnipeg, Manitoba & Www.CharlesAdler.Com.

No comments: