Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Saint City Triathalon

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., #203, 8912-156 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5R 5Z2

February XVIth, MMX

Hon. David G. Hancock, QC, MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Edmonton-Whitemud

Dear David:

I find it extremely ironic that I was in St. Albert today at my school's invite for a Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast. What's ironic about it is that in today's Edmonton Journal, Education writer Sarah O'Donnell writes about a Catholic Elementary School which has a running program. Essentially called "The House of Pain", kids in the school are so obsessed with it, that teachers & administrators encourage kids to run outright in the hallways. This is crafty & cagey as the kids are then getting extra Physical Education time beyond the mandated 30 minutes per day.

As you know David, the Catholic School in St. Albert is actually the Public School System. Sort a weird hybrid or anomaly because of Catholic educators setting up schools first upon St. Albert's incorporation as a town. Since I am taking courses through the St. Albert Storefront School, I certainly see the value in a Catholic education. Having started out my career in the private Christian School in Edmonton's west end, Edmonton Christian run by the Protestant sect of the Dutch Christian Reformed Church, I find it thrilling that I will be both beginning & ending my runs in High School & my quest for 200 Credits in a Chhristian system. And it was the Christian School that suggested I turn to St. Albert Catholic, since they are now both Public. Its worked out very well.

My feeling is David that the program at the Neil M. Ross Catholic Elementary School should also encourage Junior & Senior High kids to if not run, at least jog in the hallways. I mean David what a novel concept by Ms. O'Donnell to write on & what a noble formula for education for running coach Cathy Bagdan to have started. She can see the value of a strong physical body giving kids in St. Albert Catholic a strong mind & spirit. This running for exercise should be encouraged Provincewide in all school hallways!

Happy Shrove Tuesday David & Enjoy Your Pancakes & Sausages,

Rory

Source: Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools.

1 comment:

Colin F. Smith said...

Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints.