Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pencilled In Pen & Pencil Set Writing Centre Mechanical Pencil Led Pencil Graphite Pencil Pencil Crayons The Pen Is Truly Mightier Than The Sword

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., Whitemud Crossing Public Library Terminal #XVI, Edmonton, Alberta

February XIth, MMX

Hon. David G. Hancock, QC, MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Edmonton-Whitemud

Dear David:

As I look through my liner notes for my Exam Challenges at Jasper Place High School, I noticed something that was fairly inappropriate. In the exams which were basically multiple choice & numerical answer, so requiring an HB pencil & eraser, there was only one automatic pencil sharpener on one side of the gymnasium. This is not only inappropriate in the context of writing an exam, its unfair & unacceptable.

I mean sure David, teachers came around to sharpen my pencil with manual sharpeners. But this is stupid. Then I have to wait a copious amount of time to continue. There should be at least 6-8 automatic sharpeners in the room in all gymnasium type exam situations. Arguably, the school has them already, so they just bring them in from teachers lounges & back supply areas. Plug them in & your ready to go. So no cost to Alberta Education.

My other option is having to walk from one end of the gym to the far end, or from whatever row, say the centre I am situated in. This is ridiculous & laughable. If teachers are tied up answering questions from other students, I have paced it out that in a 2.5 hour exam, walking just halfway across the gym, sharpening my pencil(s) & walking back to my assigned seat takes about 8 minutes. This is not fair in a time pressured environment. I should have access to a powered machine within 3-6 rows of me on either side & perhaps another two at the back of the gym. This would cut the time for my travel break down to 3-5 minutes. And that 3-5 minutes saved can insure that I do a better job on the exam. Which is my right as a taxpaying, freedom loving student who supports democracy & education. Having that extra time will give me confidence to do the best job I can.

Greetings From The Whitemud Crossing Branch (Your Riding) Of The Edmonton Public Library,

Rory

Source: Department Of Education, Government Of Alberta.

No comments: