Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Equivalency, Schmivalency

Rory J. Koopmans, B. Admin., #203, 8912-156 Street, Edmonton, Alberta T5R 5Z2

January Vth, MMX

Hon. David G. Hancock, QC, MLA, Minister of Education, Progressive Conservative, Edmonton-Whitemud

Dear David:

Why is it that when I, or anyone who is as a promoter of education, by trying to get a 2nd regular High School Diploma discriminated against? Here you have what they call a High School Equivalency Diploma and if you are 20 and over, you get 5 credits for your age. 25 plus, its 10 credits, and 30 plus, it turns into 15 credits for maturity.

Is his not human rights discrimination against people such as myself who are trying to promote Alberta's educational system. You have been sent both my birth certificate & my driver's license. They show I was born at The Royal Alexandra Hospital on November XIth, MCMLXXIV. This puts me at 35 years old. Just because I am trying to get a 2nd Diploma that is in a regular format, does not mean I shouldn't qualify for the maturity credits, clearly as a student, I qualify.

The same rules should apply to all people of all ages, races, and religions. I have nothing to prove as I have a valid Bachelor of Administration Degree dated December IVth, MCMXCIX from Athabasca University. I have 175 recognized High School Credits, so if I get those maturity credits, do I also not qualify for a 2nd Diploma?

Further to my point. Why am I not allowed to have the 10 Credits for my two Life Experience Essays, just because I am going for a regular Diploma & not an Equivalency Diploma. I gave Alberta Education & yourself a valid copy of my two Life Experience Essays, at just over 500 plus words each (your requirement) and was told I did not qualify for those 10 Credits.

This is clearly a human rights & a decency issue. Your requirements included extensive travel, which is what I have done by campaigning as both a Federal & Civic candidate. They also require intensive study. Clearly I have performed this intensive study by getting the credits needed to get a Business Degree from an accredited institution.

So lets change the rules David. More young & mature folks wll graduate from High School & go onto post-secondary &/or technical institutes if they are allowed to garner these credits. Lets make Alberta great again, lets bump up the graduation rate, especially in this time of standard of living and austerity cutbacks. Plus, it would be a bundle of positive publicity for both you & the Department of Education!

Drink Water Rather Than Pop, Its Healthier,

Rory J. Koopmans

Source: The Victoria-Times Colonist.

No comments: